Wednesday, 8 January 2014

Review: The Trouble with Honor (The Cabot Sisters) - ENG


Author: Julia London
Original Title: The Trouble with Honor
Release Year: 2014
 
Literary Genre: Romance 
Setting: England, regency
Series: 1° of The Cabot Sisters

Vote: 81/2/10









 THIS NOVEL WILL BE RELEASED THE 25th FEBRUARY 2014


Honor Cabot, the eldest Earl of Beckington's stepdaughter, awaits her family's ruin; upon the earl's death she and her sister stand to lose the luxory of the grand home and their place in society to their good but a bit naive stepbrother and his social-climbing fiancée.
Forced to act quickly, Honor makes a devil's bargain with the only rogue in London who can seduce her stepbrother's fiancée, the handsome and charming rake, George Easton. 
George was born of scandal, he's an illegitimate son of a duke and he's instantly captivating by Honor and the unexpected desire threatens to change the rule of their secret game... 




 
I found only one problem in The Trouble with Honor: the first part of the romance is often too slow, too detailed.
While I was reading the first chapter I though “This novel is going to be so good!”, then arrived the second chapter and the situation started to slow down, too much. This book is not bad, on the contrary, the second half touched and thrilled me more than once but sometimes, in my opinion, wasted many words and pages for things that could have been treated in a shorter way. Now, since I'm not a writer, and I wouldn't be able to do that, I think I'm just a good reader, the last thing I want is to “judge”, since I don't even have a “solution” to what I'm criticising, but at the end of the romance I though this one would have been an amazing story if not for the abundance.

The protagonists are outstanding, especially George, the hero. The author painted him very well, I loved how he's not perfect in every regards. For living he takes risks, that means that a day he could be rich as Croesus and the day after he could have nothing in his pockets; that's the situation he is in when he first meets the beautiful, sharp and bold Honor Cabot, he has just invested all he has in a ship that is gone missing. He has an interesting character and the development of his emotions and feelings towards Honor is so very moving and passionate.

I liked the heroine as well, but it's obvious that I prefer George. I liked her personality, her way to speak freely and almost shamelessly.
In the same way I enjoyed the “prologue”, I loved the “epilogue” and I'm looking forward to read the second novel in this series, I've grown fond of Grace Cabot and I can't wait to read her story!



Buona lettura!


M.E.G.





The Cabot Sisters series: 1. The Trouble with Honor (Honor, George)                                    2. The Fall of Grace (Grace, Geoffrey)
                                    3. ... ... ...
                          


 
** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book courtesy of NetGalley and Harlequin in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment