Friday, 20 June 2014

Review: How the Scoundrel Seduces (The Duke's Men) - ENG


Author: Sabrina Jeffries
Original Title: How the Scoundrel Seduces
Release Year: Aug. 2014
 
Literary Genre: Romance
Setting: England, regency
Series: 3° of Duke's Men series


Vote: 91/2/10






 THIS NOVEL WILL BE RELEASED THE 19th AUGUST 2014




Oh I do love Sabrina Jeffries!

I'm back home and I couldn't be more happy to start my summer with Jeffries' new novel (to be released in August).
I adore this series, the Duke's Men, and, even though What the Duke Desires is still my favourite, followed by the prequel 'Twas the Night after Christmas, this one is amazing as well...and to be honest I haven't found Jeffries' real misstep yet.


I have to admit that I don't have a real favourite male character in this series, which is strange for me, I like all of them, clearly for different reasons. I have a soft spot for Dom maybe...I don't know why but I tend to prefer the sweet characters more than the rogues, but this is going to be said in If the Viscount Falls, which indeed is Dom's.

Coming back to How the Scoundrel Seduces, well, Tristan is, I would say, loveable, I like kind heroes but, let's be honest, the ones like Mr Bonnaud are utterly charming, and this particular one is amazingly so. I've been interested in his personality since What the Duke Desires, he's fascinating in his being quite peculiar, this kind of hero has been seen a lot, the one who has a difficult past and who has major problems with feelings because of that...Tristan fits the prototype but, as for Maximilian, the Duke, the author painted his traits making him so different and self standing.
His relationship with his sister Lisette is very sweet and deep and I enjoy not only the kind of love and affection between two lovers but also the one between siblings.

Tristan has, using a euphemism, a difficult relationship with his half-brother George, now Viscount, who lives a life permeates of hatred and who has never accepted his father's two bastards, Tristan and Lisette, now Duchess of Lyons.
George's aim has always been to destroy our hero's life, so when the beautiful and charming Lady Zoe Kean, Earl of Olivier's daughter, shows up demanding Tristan and Dom's investigations agency to find a mysterious gypsy woman, our Mr Bonnaud decides that this is his chance to also hunt for a gypsy friend who knows secrets about his evil half-brother.
This brings our hero and heroine to spend a lot of time together, initially arguing and teasing a lot too, and discovering a strong, passionate and sweet feeling between the two of them.

I liked Zoe as well, but I have to admit that Lisette still is my favourite heroine in the series (even though I'm already half in love with Jane, here presented and protagonist of Dom's novel); in this romance, in my opinion is Tristan the one who prevails in a way, Zoe has a strong personality but I couldn't really and totally connect with her.


Nevertheless this novel is amazing, the characters, protagonists and not, are, as always, so very well presented and described, the story is catching, fast and very adventurous. I think is slightly better than When the Rougue Returns because of this last aspect, Victor and Isabelle's novel has an amazing story, I think is one of the most brilliant I've ever read about but has some uncertainties in the end; Tristan and Zoe's one is, on the other hand, less incisive but better told. 


I have only one criticism, I would have loved to read more about Maximilian and Victor, both not very present here.

 
Buona lettura!


M.E.G.


The Duke's Men series:  1. What the duke desires (Maximilian, Lisette)
                                 2. When the rogue returns (Victor, Isabelle)
                                 2.5. Dorinda and the doctor (Percy, Dorinda) 

                                 3. How the scoundrel seduces (Tristan, Zoe)

                                 4. If the viscount falls (Dominick, Jane)


                     prequel: 'Twas the night after Christmas (Pierce, Camilla)




 ** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and Simon & Schuster (Pocket Books) in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment