Monday, 7 September 2015

Review: Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires (Secrets of Thorncliff Manor)


Author: Sophie Barnes
Original Title: Lady Sarah's Sinful Desires
Release Year: 2015

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency
Series: 1st of Secrets of Thorncliff Manor

Vote: 3








This romance had potential...pity the characters are that bad, most of them at least. I appreciated the heroine and I liked her parents, although for different reasons, mostly because they cover opposite role. The parents are mean, they are what could be considered the antagonists and I must say they do it very well, they are actually hateful, every time the mother was in the scene I would have slapped her (same for the father although I would have done it with less zeal).
Lady Sarah, the heroine, on the other hand, is sweet, young and lively but dominated and controlled by the evil mother; despite that I wouldn't consider Sarah at fault for letting herself being dominated, in fact, if we want to be objective about her situation, she actually is somewhat responsible for her past and future actions and implications, and the mother used that against her throughout the whole romance, at every single turn.

Said that, what in this romance is extremely wrong is the hero! He's almost everything a hero shouldn't be. If I were Sarah I would have run the fastest I could from him and favoured a whole life of spinsterhood in an isolated cottage in the middle of nowhere! In one word he's a childish coward and, sorry if I say so, also a bit stupid. He looks everything but a man in love; as he is painted he sounds like the kind of man who would have held her previous actions against her.
And what is it worse than a terrible hero in an romance?...nothing, in my opinion.

Buona lettura!

M.E.G. 





No comments:

Post a Comment