Wednesday, 16 September 2015

Review: Viscount of Vice (Covent Garden Cubs) - ARC


Author: Shana Galen
Original Title: Viscount of Vice
Release Year: January 2015

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency
Series: 0.5th of Covent Garden Cubs

Vote: 6 1/2





Novellas can be quite tricky, that's what I've learnt from my experience with HRs. I've read very few of them which are able to arise in me the emotions a "full" romance can, being shorter, a novella, clearly requires for the author to build up interesting and catching premises in a substantially briefer number of pages; in cases like The Viscount of Vice one, the situation is even more difficult because it opens a series, it's not an interlude, which, in turn, means the reader generally won't already have a general picture of the context and characters, everything starts there. 

To be honest, despite I had already read the rest of the series and therefore I already had the above mentioned picture, this short story did't particularly catch me. The opening in medias res is great, I felt an immediate attraction to the hero, but after that I haven't felt a strong connection to the story. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm not really able to identify real weaknesses of the story, my point of focus is more that it didn't affect me, I liked the protagonists, I also appreciated the plot, but it didn't involve me. 

I did love Robbie's bit, the hero's lost brother, it's very promising for a possible future "chapter" with him as a protagonist (I do adore drama!); moreover knowing what happens next, it was interesting reading the prelude to all the criminal twists which are developed in the following romances and characterise the series. But that's pretty much where my entertainment ended. Which is a pity considering how beautiful and amazingly written is the rest of Covent Garden Cubs
I believe that every author can make faux pas and, although I don't consider The Viscount of Vice as a fail, I can't even include it among Shana Galen's master pieces.


Buona lettura!

M.E.G.





**I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book in exchange for an honest review**



No comments:

Post a Comment