Thursday, 8 October 2015

Review: The Lost Soul of Lord Badewyn (The Order of the MUSE) - ARC


Author: Mia Marlowe
Original Title: The Lost Soul of Lord Badewyn
Release Year: November 2015

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency
Series: 3rd of The Order of the MUSE

Vote: 8 1/2




This romance will be released the 23rd of November 2015 



Very much engaging, sweet and thrilling! The first half of the romance built up in me an amazing curiosity and longing, which are totally satisfied in the rest of the novel.



As I've already stated in the review of The Madness of Lord Westfall, generally I'm not a big fan of supernatural romances but this series, so far, has the amazing quality to balance "reality" and supernatural, moreover I liked this last aspect because I perceived it and it is presented and described in mythological manner and not as shabby modern paranormal. I have always been extremely fascinated by the former and repelled by the latter (as a enormous appreciator and former academic of classical languages and classical literauture/hisotry/myths, it's well implicit how I can be attracted to a romance with said characteristics).


The enigma regarding the hero's, Samuel, life is highly fascinating, very well organised and presented. He's a great character, he's a charming combination of dichotomies, kind but also severe, naive but also deeply experienced, he lives an internal conflict towered by a burden and a curse which he's not responsible of. His relationship with Gregori is also very interesting, it's probably one of the best part of the novel.

I already appreaciated the heroine, Meg, in the previous novel and I found very fitting how her personality is developed in this romance; beforehand to me, she looked very gentle and kind but obviously, with a strong character she was restricting because of her past and her present situation as the Duke of Camden's ward, in The Lost Soul of Lord Badewyn she also shows her sharpness, her very funny impudence, boldness and sense of humour. Her conversations with Samuel are entertaining to say little. The attraction, but even more the affection, love and protectiveness, between them is so real and palpable.
There is only one thing that didn't convince me and which I've found slightly too dramatic, on the verge of awkwardness, and this is the final fight between Samuel and his father. A bit too "clash of the Titans", which of course probably was wanted, but I found it too theatrical for my tastes.

  

I enjoyed this novel very much, my interest is quickly escalating, as, in my opinion, is strengthening the "quality" of the series. I hope we won't have to wait too much for the next romance in The Order of the MUSE!
 

Buona lettura!

M.E.G.



** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and Entangled Publishing, LLC in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity **

    

No comments:

Post a Comment