Tuesday, 26 January 2016

Review: The Art of Taming a Rake (Legendary Lovers) - ARC


Author: Nicole Jordan
Original Title: The Art of Taming a Rake
Release Year: 2016

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency Era
Series: 4th of Legendary Lovers


Vote: 6 1/2




THIS NOVEL WILL BE RELEASED THE 26th of JANUARY 2016



Unfortunately this is a typical case of too many irons in the fire. However, I regrettably say so, in fact this novel has great premises, those I like; the protagonists have a not-particularly-cheerful joint background, the heroine can't stand the hero, she holds him partially responsible for a past scandal involving her and which has brought her to take distance from her family, beloved sister included.
The hero on the other side has always hidden a soft spot towards the heroine but, although it could be hardly held guilty for the above mentioned scandal, he very humbly accepts her distaste.

I found his behaviour towards the heroine very sweet, even though he tries very badly to hide his feelings and even though he doesn't really make strong attempts to justify his reasons that brought him the heroine's dislike. I thought his behaviour very modest, generous and therefore praiseworthy.
Quinn, the Earl of Traherne, is definitely the strong point of this romance.

On the other hand we have the heroine, Venetia Stratham; my relationship with her has been fluctuating, I can't say I didn't like her but at the same time I can't even say to be her top admirer. I've found her slightly too strict on her positions from time to time, unreasonably so.

However, here, the problem is not the heroine, and much less the hero, the fact is that there are too many side dishes in the plot. The love tension and the protagonists background alone, in my opinion, could have been more than enough for a successful story...I don't really understand the decision to add more factors, the whole "thriller" sub-plot, occasionally, has strained the reading.
This is a pity because the love story is very catching and fast paced, I did enjoy it very much.


Buona lettura!

M.E.G.





 ** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment