Friday, 27 November 2015

Review: Sweetest Scoundrel (Maiden Lane)


Author: Elizabeth Hoyt
Original Title: Sweetest Scoundrel
Release Year: November 2015

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Georgian Era
Series: 9th of the Maiden Lane


Vote: 10+





Considered how my relationship with this series has started, when some years ago I read the first novel in Maiden Lane, I am amazed in noticing how now it is among my favourite, ever created.

I loved this romance, I adored the characters, I have had a fascination for Asa since the first time the Makepace family was introduced, which means the very beginning.


I found the plot incredibly catching, I have always loved going to theatre, and I love the explosive emotions going around a representation and I think that setting an historical romance around this world is a choice than in more than an occasion has shown to be a winning one. Sweetest Scoundrel only confirms this rule. 

If you add this, to the amazing and distinctive capacity Elizabeth Hoyt has to raise strong emotions in the reader, the result is a triumph. Hoyt is one of my favourite author; every time I read one of her novel I am enthralled by the love story, also if there are some uncertainties in the plot (and this is not the case in Sweetest Scoundrel); with her, the success of the romance between the two protagonists is always there.


Asa is so overly masculine, even rudely so, characteristic that paradoxically is impossible to resist. Eve is the opposite, so sweet and ladylike. They are so well mixed. Their relationship is especially so adorable also because of the decision that Hoyt took to not reflect his rudeness in the way he relates himself to Eve, and who knows Hoyt's style also knows she can use crude words (particularly in the sexual context).
Asa curses a lot, he is very harsh, physically imposing and temperamental, but when it comes to Eve he shows a tenderness and respect that is so contrasting and heart melting!

I have a real adoration for this novel, moreover all the Makepace family is present here, with wives and husbands, and I was so happy to see them, on top of them Winter!

Buona lettura!

M.E.G.

    



Maiden Lane series:             1. Wicked Intentions  (Lazarus & Temperance)
                                  2. Notorious Pleasure (Griffin & Hero)
                                  3. Scandalous Desires (Mickey & Silence)
                                  4. Thief of Shadows (Winter & Isabel)
                                  5. Lord of Darkness (Godric & Margaret)
                                  6. Duke of Midnight (Maximus & Artemis) 
                                  7. Darling Beast (Apollo & Lily) 
                                  8. Dearest Rogue (James & Phoebe) 
                                  9. Sweetest Scoundrel (Asa & Eve)  
                                 10. Duke of Sin (Valentine & Bridget)
                                 11. Duke of Pleasure (Hugh & Alf) 
                                 12. Duke of Desire

No comments:

Post a Comment