Saturday, 2 January 2016

Review: The Highwayman (Victorian Rebels)


Author:  Kerrigan Byrne
Original Title: The Highwayman
Release Year: September 2015

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Victorian Era
Series: 1st of Victorian Rebels

Vote: 10 + (++++++)







(This review contains spoilers)



This romance is like something I have never read before. I felt a deep peace when I finished it. And I cried, a lot.

The Highwayman is deeply emotional, it is about a love that knows no limits, a love lasting forever, a love bigger than life and death.

I was caught from the first line. Everything is perfect, I believe that the extent of poignancy and pathos reached by Farah and Dorian's love story is understandable only if read, a review cannot really explain it fully, that is why this review will not be long at all.


Dorian, the Blackheart of Ben More, is a villain, he knows no mercy when it comes to get what he wants, and he wants Farah, obsessively. He is deeply tormented, intense, dark, and his reason of life is one, and only one. He will go to extent you will not preview as a reader, at least I had not. Every chapter was a new tile, and in the end, one after another show an astonishingly beautiful portrait that is Dorian and his feelings. In The Highwayman the secret to be uncovered is not the one that is initially obvious, but it is Dorian Blackwell himself, his personality.




"Dorian met her glare, but couldn't say the words, 
so he looked down at Farah who'd clasped her hands hopefully in front of her. 
She was the only reason. 
His only reason. For everything."




Every word in this novel is in the right place, every dialogue is magnificently calibrated. Normally the romances that get to strongly move me, also leave me a inner, almost unpleasant, turmoil. This one was so perfect to leave me just a very satisfying inner peace. Despite the tears, as I said before.




"She was alive because he was still alive. 
And if her heart ever stopped beating, his soul would follow her."






Buona lettura!



M.E.G.




Victorian Rebels:

The Highwayman
The Hunter
The Highlander
The Duke
The Rogue Takes A Wife

No comments:

Post a Comment