Sunday, 31 January 2016

Review: The Unforgettable Hero (Palyful Brides) - ARC


Author: Valerie Bowman
Original Title: The Unforgettable Hero
Release Year: 2016

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency Era
Series: 4,5 of Playful Brides


Vote: 6




THIS NOVEL WILL BE RELEASED THE 2nd of FEBRUARY 2016

I'm not partial to novellas and I didn't know The Unforgettable Hero was one. However, since the plot seemed interesting I decided to try and put aside my preconceptions.
After finishing it I can say that this short story has partially confirmed my opinions in regards to the genre but at the same time it also undoubtedly possesses several interesting starting points, and I'm confident that, if developed in a novel, the result would have been highly improved.


I enjoy very much unexpected characteristics in historical romances; here the heroine, Cecilia, is a writer and as a matter of fact I like writers in romances, this is a point on its favour. The event that brings the hero, Adam, and the heroine together is very smart indeed, but at the same time here comes the problem that most of the novella have. Following my idea of love, there is a minimum amount of time (which I'd say is longer than a week or so) needed for such a strong feeling to be developed. Otherwise I call it crush, which is much more ephemeral, and significantly harder to empathises with. More so if the heroine falls in love with an idea, although charming, of the hero, and not really with the hero himself.

Cecilia, following an accident, loses her memory and she's convinced that the person rescuing her is the hero of the novel she has written and, in turn, she's the heroine of the same novel. In her book the female protagonist, Lady Magnolia, is promised in marriage to a very charming duke. Following the accident and because of the doctor's suggestion Cecilia lives sheltered for some time in the company of Adam and his family, who put up a scene to go along with her idea that she's lady Magnolia and Adam is the duke (the reason is to avoid additional traumas).

This is theoretically an interesting plot but it is not developed enough to be credible. Cecilia, starts falling in love with Adam believing him to be someone else and when her memory comes back she realises she really loves him. All this happens in a very short period of time.
If, however, this plot had been presented in a novel, everything would have had the necessary time to happen in a plausible amount of time. And I would have probably liked it a lot more.

Buona lettura!

M.E.G.





 ** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment