Thursday, 5 May 2016

Review: I Thee Wed (Worthington)


Author: Celeste Bradley
Original Title: I Thee Wed
Release Year: 2016

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency era
Series: 4th of Worthington series


Vote: 5






I will start by saying that I am italian.
We italian are very touchy about italian food. Especially about those things that are very wrongly attributed to italian cuisine when you wouldn't be able to find them anywhere in the italian peninsula.
The Bolognese sauce is one of them.
Now, lets be clear, we do have a sauce invented in Bologna that is very similar to what is called Bolognese sauce, and this is ragù, and there's no oregano and basil in it, on the other hand there's a lot of minced beef. Every italian who was born in Italy and has grown up there knows it. Therefore Francesca should know it.


I have also to say that the italian in the book is mostly badly translated and I'm only at the 13% of the novel...

Concluding with my italian rant, there is also the matter of the heroine's nickname, "Chessa"; in italian (although written differently but with the same pronounciation) the word is used as an insult for very ugly women. I am pretty convinced no italian would accept to be called so.

Yes, I know that this novel is meant to be for a english speaking public, and so damn italian...however, the perfection is shown in the details.


ABOUT THE ACTUAL PLOT: Despite my perseverance, summing up, I didn't like this novel and honestly the italian problem above mentioned is really the last thing in the line.
I couldn't feel any connection with and between the characters, their attraction to one another is only written, not perceivable.
Orion is often too full of himself, in a pompous way, and definitely not charming;
Francesca (who carries the same name of the famous Francesa, lover of Paolo and protagonists of the most beautiful love verses ever written - pity they don't have anything in common) probably is the best character in the romance but she's a bit plain, not really a tridimensional protagonist.
However, I must say there are two entertaining aspects, first the author can depict very steamy sexual scenes. Second, the final chapters.

Dulcis in fundo, what I really couldn't stand even a bit was Atalanta, Orion's younger sister. Again, I don't mind an extremely confident character a priori, but Lord, this is another level. She acts in ways that are everything but realistic and in short time she became a joke.


Buona lettura!


M.E.G.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment