Monday, 30 May 2016

Review: Once A Soldier (Rogues Redeemed) - ARC


Author: Mary Jo Putney
Original Title: Once A Soldier
Release Year: June 2016

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: Portugal, Regency
Series: 1° of Rogues Redeemed

Vote: 7



THIS NOVEL WILL BE RELEASED THE 28th of JUNE 2016


Ok, I'm struggling with this novel. I cannot make up my mind about it. There is honestly nothing really out of place, the characters are truly well-rounded and interesting, the plot is perfectly developed and it is also somewhat different compared to most of the historical romances I know.
However, it didn't really catch me. I was reading and thinking "this is nice, why I'm not empathising with it?", the answer is "I don't know".

I guess that, thinking about the love story between the protagonists, although very sweet, lacks of passion and beguilement; it looked like they started a relationship out of boredom and not basing it on a fiery attraction (or even a bland one), it seemed flat for them too.


This review is going to be short, I'm still processing the reaction to the novel, I will probably re-read it at some point in the future since I'm not convinced; I might change this review as my opinion might change.

I would nevertheless suggest this novel as I believe a lot of people might like it, plus there's a character with my name, which is not that common (Maria Cristina).

Buona lettura!

M.E.G.




** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and Zebra Books (Kensington Publishing) in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity **

No comments:

Post a Comment