Monday, 13 June 2016

Review: Stormswept (Wales) - ARC


Author: Sabrina Jeffries (writing as Deborah Martin)
Original Title: Stormswept
Release Year: June 2016
 
Literary Genre: Romance
Setting: Wales, Regency era
Series: 1° of Wales


Vote: 9




Sabrina Jeffries is always a certainty for me. Always. She's one of my favourite author, as I made it clear several times before. She is EXTREMELY talented. Mine is true adoration!

Why do I love Stormswept?

It's settled in Wales, I live in Wales and I love it, I love the language, the people, the nature...and I love finding it in a novel, it's very charming if you ask me. In fact, it's a shame that only few authors set their stories here, overlooking its history; it's a wonderful country with a strong identity, its own language and its own story of rebellions against the English control. I can't see why it cannot make a great setting for HRs, as much as Scotland for example.

In Stormswept the protagonists have a past together, and I do have a tender for this type of entanglements! I thought winning the idea to actually tell us the story in details through a long flashback, instead of just giving short hints now and then.

The growth that the heroine, Juliana, shows is very satisfying and what I truly appreciated is that the timing for the whole story to develop felt real, no sudden unexplainable changes; the hero, Rhys, is not the trusting sort, he didn't live easy moments and thinks Juliana has betrayed him, and cannot really bring himself to lower his defences and trust her. The process that brings to the realisation that they were both pieces of a machination, is long, believable, realistic and suffered. The only thing I would have loved more to see (and perceive) is a bit more of visceral yearning in it, although obvious, their love is not so deeply sensed between the lines (until chapter 18, to be precise). However, then there's a explosion of feelings, and I did sense that!

I must admit I have a soft spot also for the "bad guy". If not for that slap...
in the end I appreciated him for many things, although not forgivable for others, and I'd liked him to have an happy ending too.



I don't know how this series is going to proceed, but I think that, despite being a republication, it has a lot of potential, also for future new additions. There are several interesting characters.
The next one, as far as I know, is going to have Evan as male protagonist (the boy who's very dear to Juliana in this novel).

Buona lettura!

M.E.G.




Sabrina Jeffires' bibliography







** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and Threshold (Pocket Books) in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity **



 

No comments:

Post a Comment