Thursday, 13 July 2017

Review: Never Trust a Pirate (Playful Brides) - ARC



Author: Valerie Bowman
Original Title: Never Trust A Pirate
Release Year: May 2017

Literary Genre: Historical Romance
Setting: England, Regency Era
Series: 7th of Playful Brides


Vote: 7 1/2


So, it is a bit difficult for me to give an opinion about this novel. Which is certainly not a new "affliction" for me when it comes to Valerie Bowman.

I can safely say that I liked it, and in some occasions, while I was reading, I thought that I was liking it very much...however, reached the end, I confirm that I "just" liked it. Why?
I've come to realise, after several Valerie Bowman's novels read, that I have an issue with how she organise the plot timeframe, meaning that the number of pages she dedicates to plot and sub-plot is pretty much the same, and although in some instances it could work, here slows down the whole story. But there is a but, in this novel I had this feeling just in some parts of the plot; most of it was smooth, enough fast-paced and entertaining, hence what I said above.

Secondly, I liked the protagonists, but sometimes they just try too hard to look very cool and charming. Next time a bit less.

Despite all this, I really enjoy pirates, I enjoy a bit less spies, I love when a plot is set on a boat (I have these weird fetishisms), I loved the fact that the hero is a twin and that the heroine met him in disguise. The passion between them is palpable and so certainly, Never Trust A Pirate is one of the best in the series. Go for it.   


Next is going to be about Hart and Mag and I am really looking forward to that one!

Buona lettura!

M.E.G.





 ** I received an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of this book on courtesy of NetGalley and St. Martin's Press in exchange for an honest review, thank you for the opportunity.


No comments:

Post a Comment